1. Morrowind Storyline > Skyrim Storyline > Diablo 3 “Storyline”
2. While I still have to have been connected to the internet at some point, if I lose my connection while playing Skyrim, the map doesn’t reset and I don’t have to restart my mission from the very beginning. (This is especially annoying because I feel like I HAVE To explore the whole map each time).
3. Diablo 3 is an item grind, plain and simple. This is one of the main reasons I got tired of WoW. You play to get better items to play to get better items.
4. The character creation is almost non-existent in Diablo. You still choose how to itemize your character, but you cannot change the look of your character besides the gender.
5. A piece of armor will look different based on which class of character is looking at it (except the class specific items). A chest piece will look like heavy armor on the Barb and look like Cloth on a mage. Some people may see this as a plus, I do not. It removes even more customization from the character, making it very plain. All Barb’s of the same sex and same iLvl will look exactly alike.
6. The real money Auction house doesn’t exist in Skyrim. I get that WoW is no longer raking in the cash like it used to, and Blizzard is looking for a new cash cow to suckle. I also understand that these micro-transactions are going to net blizzard a health sum. I am ok with that. What I don’t like is that it is a very slippery slope towards a “pay to win” game with something like this.
7. Very linear storyline in Diablo 3. You are forced forwards, kicking and screaming the whole way. While in Skyrim, it doesn’t even FEEL like there is a main story line. Every quest line is important, and you can do things as you want to, when you want to. The closest you get to that in Diablo is the “random” dungeon they throw at you now and then.
8. Skyrim delivered on basically everything it promised. The Diablo team started removing features left and right, near the end of production because it wasn’t working how they wanted.
9. Even though Diablo is an Item Grind, the items aren’t worth anything. In game, vanilla items are worth less than 10 gold and magic items are worth less than 200. So if you want to make any money off items, it has to go through the Auction House. The Auction House limits you to selling 10 items at a time.
10. There is nothing pathetic about the graphics in Diablo. Most things look great; they are as dark and gothic and Diablo-y as it should be. But I think the background was a real cop-out. The world is either boxed in with scrubs and a few hills, or its platforms above an abyss. How can there be so much open air in every single underground structure? Heaven was about the only place this made sense.
While in Skyrim, I enjoy just running around looking at the beautiful scenery.
I have almost 200 hours logged in Skyrim, and I am not yet bored of it. I have about 63 hours logged in Diablo III, and am about ready to quit…